Demonstrate: Writing Preparation
Evaluation Title: Pre-writing and Outlining
Complete a 5-minute free write
- Consider this question: “What are your most cherished beliefs?”
- When you freewrite, you write without stopping for a set period of time.
- Do not worry about spelling or grammar.
- Do not censor your ideas, just keep writing.
- If you get stuck, repeat a prompting question or the topic until something comes to you.
- Freewriting is about quantity rather than quality.
- We’ll reverse that philosophy when we start writing your essay, but for now focus on generating as many ideas as you can.
- When freewriting, you are not evaluated on how good your ideas are – just that you have a lot of writing and thoughts to work with.
Create an outline or skeleton draft for the This I Believe Essay
- Include clear direction for each paragraph of your essay.
- An outline follows a specific format for organizing your ideas into paragraphs with some details mapped out.
- A skeleton draft is writing what you imagine the first sentence of each paragraph will be to get a picture of your essay sub-topics from start to finish.
- You do not need to write the full essay, just map out a few of the ideas for each paragraph.