This assignment consists of two sections: a written project plan, and a project plan that is created through the use of MS Project. You must submit both sections as separate files for the completion of this assignment. Label each file name according to the section of the assignment it is written for.
Imagine that you have been hired as a project manager assisting in the development of a mobile application and cloud-based solution which is designed to streamline your organization’s delivery operation. As project manager, you are to manage the development and release of the mobile client platform in the cloud-based infrastructure that will use GPS tracking to track the shipment and delivery of goods in trucks across the United States.
The mobile client will have three modules consisting of a search customer screen, search address screen, and confirm delivery screen. Programmers have reviewed the requirements and estimate that each module will take 200 hours to complete by one programmer.
In addition to delivering the mobile-based application, your project will require upgrading the internal network and application infrastructure to a cloud-based model to support the new mobile platform. This effort will require your team to procure network appliances to optimize the security factors of the cloud-based platform.
One last component of the project scope is to provide training to operation support staff and fifty truck drivers staffed across four regions of the U.S. Your project team consists of two programmers, a technical writer, four technical trainers, two network engineers, and one system administrator.
Section 1: Written Project Plan
Write a three to four page paper in which you:
- Determine the factors that must be considered and observed throughout the WBS development process and explain why.
- Create a WBS for the scope of the project. Note: The WBS must be in indented format as shown in Figure 5.5B in Chapter 5 of the text.
- Analyze the various activities required for this project and provide an estimate of duration for each activity based on the number of resources available for the project. Include assumptions and basis for each estimate.
- Recommend the estimation technique that should be used for each activity (i.e., PERT, Delphi, Analogy, Expert Judgment, or Rule of Thumb).
- Determine the major milestones that the project will encounter.
- Describe the logical sequence of planned activities required to achieve the project and analyze how monitoring durations on the critical path influence the success of the project.
Section 1 of your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
Section 2: Project Plan
Use Microsoft Project to:
- Document all resources that would be required for this project within the Resource Sheet form within the software.
- List all the activities required for the project. Break down the activities by the major milestones.
- Enter the estimate of required durations, dependencies, and assign resources for each activity.
- Generate a Gantt chart that shows all of the project deliverables from beginning to end.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Create an IT project plan.