Present an argument on how that work helps us better understand the good, the true, and the beautiful
The essay that I choose is “Dream of the Rood” which I have attached the documents.
For your second essay in this class, you will spend some time reflecting on one of the literary works assigned in the class from a Christian perspective.
Steps in the Process
- Choose a work assigned in this course that appeals to you from an emotional or aesthetic perspective.
- Read the work several times (maybe read parts of it aloud) making note of the features that seem particularly beautiful, inspiring, emotional, meaningful, or true. Consider the following questions:
- How does the work help us better value goodness?
- How does the work help us better understand Truth?
- How does the work help us better recognize and appreciate beauty?
- Focus your thoughts into an argument about how the work of literature helps us better understand aspects of the Christian faith.
- Compose a thesis-driven, organized essay presenting your argument and using textual support for your points.
Although your essay will be thesis-driven, it is not a literary analysis. Do not simply pick a theme or a literary device and make an argument about that aspect of the work.
It will almost certainly be easier to do this assignment well if you choose a shorter piece of literature or a small section of a long work, rather than, for instance, the entirety of Julius Caesar.
Style and Length
Your essay should be written in correct MLA format, and it should be between 1000-1500 words long.