Outcomes addressed in this Assignment:
- Evaluate the technologies that support and supplement EHRs.
- Discuss EHR system challenges and the supporting roles of HIM professionals in addressing these challenges.
- Develop an appreciation for the planning and implementation aspects of EHRs.
- Provide examples of EHR systems as they may be implemented in various types of health care settings.
- Evaluate the acceptance and challenges associated with the NHIN (National Health Information Network).
Describe the phases and activities in the systems development life cycle.
This week you learned about implementing electronic health records. Imagine that you are the HIT Director for a healthcare facility and you are tasked with leading the facility in converting their office to electronic health records. For this Assignment, you will design and construct a Microsoft PowerPoint® presentation that highlights the planning and implementation process when converting to electronic health records. You will present this PowerPoint to other stakeholders in the HIT Department. Please include the following topics in your presentation:
- Name and describe 2 examples of EHRs used in healthcare facilities and discuss the pros and cons of each.
- What technologies would the facility need to implement electronic health records?
- Describe how the facility should implement EHRs using the phases of the system development life cycle as a guide.
Your presentation must have at least 15–20 slides. Please use the notes section to clarify anything that might be confusing and anything that needs elaboration such as definitions.
This Assignment should follow the conventions of Standard American English (correct grammar,
punctuation, etc.). Your writing should be well ordered, logical, and unified, as well as original and insightful. The resources used (including your text) should be properly cited. Your work should display superior content,organization, style, and mechanics.
Submitting your work:
Submit your Assignment to the appropriate Dropbox. For instructions on submitting your
work, view the Dropbox Guide located under Academic Tools at the top of your
Please be sure to visit APA Central to assist you with meeting APA expectations for written