The special education process can be overwhelming for both parents and educators. For example, differentiating between IFSPs, IEPs, and 504s can be difficult. The classroom teacher is a member of the interdisciplinary team, and it is important for the teacher to have a general understanding of IFSPs, IEPs, and 504s. The interdisciplinary team includes the grade level teacher, special education teacher, district representative, school psychologist/specialist, the parents, and the student (when it is appropriate).
For this assignment, create a 12-15 slide digital presentation for an upcoming professional development.
Include the following in the presentation:
- Explanations of IDEA, IFSPs, IEPs, and 504 plans and how they differ from each other.
- General processes for special education identification, including Child Find, parent referral, and school referral.
- Roles family, the school, and/or district faculty and staff play in identification, support, and reporting, as well as the meaning of service delivery.
- Methods of communication with families regarding the process of special education identification.
- A title slide, reference slide, and presenter’s notes.
Support your presentation with 3-5 scholarly references.