EXTRA CREDIT WRITTEN ASSIGNMENT
After viewing the film Jonestown: The Life and Death of Peoples’ Temple (If the link does not open for you on click, here is the URL: <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVJJijESlko>) write an essay of 500-1200 words in length that analyzes the Jonestown tragedy according to the historical and cultural influences of the 1970s.
What is going on historically in the 1950s-1970s that creates so much social upheaval in America? Why are so many people in the 1970s hungry for new religious answers to their problems and how does Jim Jones offer them an answer? While it is an extreme example, how is Peoples’ Temple part of the religious cultural trend of the 1970s and how does it compare to other religious movements of the time?
- Write in 3rd person voice. DO NOT use 1st person voice.
- Use Arial or Helvetica font, 12 point size
- Margins should be 1″ on all four sides of your essay
- Name block is single-spaced. The rest of the essay is double-spaced.
- Do not add extra space after carriage returns or any other paper stretching method. Remember, the word count (500-1200 words) is the requirement, so trying to stretch paper is pointless. When you turn a paper in electronically, it gives a word count. Short papers will receive a significant point deduction.
- Grammar, punctuation, spelling and proper essay formatting count. You should be able to write a well organized essay, which includes an introduction with a solid thesis, a well-organized and cohesive body, and a proper conclusion.
- No outside sources are necessary or desired for this assignment. If you make the choice to use outside sources, you will likely receive a bit of a penalty. Failure to cite the source properly will constitute academic dishonesty, so if you do use outside sources, make sure you cite!
- Double-check that you have properly cited your sources (including reference to the movie). You must include both the proper in-text citation notes and the bibliography (works cited page) in either MLA, APA, or Chicago-Turabian style.
- Put your NAME, STUDENT ID, AND CLASS (History 146) on your paper in the top left corner. No cover sheet is necessary or desired.